Key facts

Club: Sevilla FC | Opening: 1958 | Capacity: 42,714 seats

History and description

Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán got built to replace Sevilla’s old Estadio de Nervión, which had become too small for the ambitions of the club.

The land for the planned new stadium was bought in 1937 by then-president of the club Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán. It took however until 1954 for further action was taken, and until 1956 for construction to begin.

Just a few weeks before the start of construction, president Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán suddenly died, and his successor promised to name the stadium in his honour.

Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán officially opened on 7 September 1958 with a match between Sevilla FC and Real Jaén.

The stadium initially lacked a second tier at both ends, but these were added in 1974, hereby enclosing the entire stadium and increasing capacity to 70,000.

Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán was one of the playing venues of the 1982 World Cup. Before the tournament it had received a refurbishment which reduced capacity to 66,000. During the World Cup it hosted two matches: one group match and the semi-final between West Germany and France (3-3).

In 1986, the stadium hosted the European Cup final between FC Steaua and Barcelona, won by the Romanian side after shootouts.

In the 1990s, the capacity of the stadium was further reduced when it got converted into an all-seater.

In the early 2000s, Sevilla had plans to expand and modernise the stadium, which included adding an extra tier and new roof, but these never came off the ground and were consequently shelved.

In 2015, more modest redevelopment plans were presented, including a facelift of the interior, improvements in the concourse facilities, and a new facade. Works started straightaway with the replacement of the old red & white seats with new red-only seats, and by the end of 2016 the new facade had been completed.


TO TOP